Wednesday, May 21, 2014

How to Caulk in the Bathroom

You may be wondering…Wayne washes the carpets and Tracy caulks the bathroom?
Yup thats how we roll in this house ;)

My new laptop froze yesterday. I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even shut it down, so figured I would do some work around the house.

Our bathroom counter needed to be re-caulked and after caulking around the downstairs toilet, I figured I should do the main bathroom counter next.
This is the after photo, forgot to take a before photo.
I had done it in clear caulk last time and I didn't like the clear, so went for the white this time around.






















The first thing to do is remove all the old caulk.
It is a tedious and not so fun of a job.
But my finger exacto knife from Fiskars worked great.
It scraped away the thinnest parts of this.






















I have never tried this way before, I had always just used my finger, but I thought I would give it a go.
Using painters tape, adhere it to the wall and another strip to the counter, leaving a gap for the caulk.
















Keeping even pressure to the tube, run the caulk in-between the tape.






















After that is complete, wet your finger and run your finger between the tape, smoothing the caulk.
You have to clean off your finger and re-wet it many times during this step.

















While the caulk is still wet, slowly pull off the tape for a nice crisp seam.
When the tape is pulled off, some of the caulk may lift up, just wet your finger and re-smooth the caulk….isn't that a funny word, caulk ;)






















As you are waiting for the caulk to dry…why not take a selfie, lol.






















Here it is looking like new again :)























That was my exciting day today :)
I also put together my mailings for my ATC swap I am in.

I hope you all had a very creative Wednesday.
I am enjoying the season finale of Survivor :)

Tracy :)

13 comments:

  1. Had a good chuckle here. DH cleans the carpets and vacuums and I do the calking too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha wasn't expecting that when I came over. Nice caulk;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good team work. You made me laugh with your selfie photo (looking good) always make time for a selfie lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial on caulking. love your selfie, you look great!! Looking forward to seeing your ATCs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! This is so timely as I need to do our kitchen. Hope your computer problems are resolved. That is so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips, Tracy, and cute pic! :) Hope your computer gets sorted out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome tips!
    hope your computer is up and running

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, my favorite part about all of that is the selfie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your computer is okay!

    I love the idea of using painters tape with the caulk! We always make such a mess, this would be really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You go girl. Maybe you could come and help me regroup mine??? Hoping your computer is A-OK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thar is supposed to read re-grout! Just auto corrected again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, our carpet is in serious need of a wash - one cat, three teens and an infant turned toddler later it's looking kind'a rough!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love and I will return it right back to you :)