Saturday, January 16, 2010

Twist Box Tutorial

Here is a tutorial on how to make this Twist Box. All the measurements are in inches. I used Pattern Paper for this one. The ones I used yesterday were made with card stock and pattern paper added on top.

Cut your paper at 7 3/8 x 7 3/4.
All my black lines are your scoring lines. I did it this way just so you can see them on here better.
Turn you paper so that the 7 3/8 edge is on the bottom of your trimmer or scoring board.
Score at 1 3/4, 3 1/2, 5 1/4 and 7. The skinny edge should measure 3/8.

Turn your paper and on the top and bottom score at 1 3/4
Then score all the squares with a diagonal line.
Then score the opposite way as to make X's in the squares.

Then score the little lines from the middle of your X to the edge.

If you want to put ribbon through the ends then you need to punch tiny holes in the paper. The circles indicate where the holes should be punched. If your hole punch if to short and will not fit at this stage. Then when you do your folding you can punch it then.
Here is where you start to fold. First fold your long score marks. Then do the edges. You should fold the edges both ways as you need a good fold on these ends.
Here is the front or the good side of the paper. You need to glue right side of the box, it will be the skinny 3/8 edge that was left from scoring at the beginning.
Here it is glued into shape. If you punched the wholes and wanted to put ribbon on it, now would be the time to tread the holes. Don't tie the ribbon until it is finished.
OK now to twist the ends. Pinch the opposite ends of the flaps and twist the flaps in the same direction.
See how it kind of makes a spiral. The first time you do this it is a bit stiff. That is why you need to score them well.
This is how it looks on the ends. Here you can see the black lines. Like I said they are only on mine as I did this for you to understand my instructions better. As I suck at giving instructions.
Here is the end result. Embellish it any way you want. I don't know what this will be used for or who will receive it so I didn't put any tags on it.

Let me know what you think of my tutorial. I will try video in the future as I love to watch them myself. I just have to figure out how to do that.
"Oh Ashley mom needs you."

2 comments:

Leave me some love and I will return it right back to you :)